IPS Display Market Trends in 2022
IPS (in-plane switching) displays are a type of liquid crystal display (LCD) screen in which the liquid crystals are strategically placed between two layers of glass. The liquid crystals are arranged in a predetermined parallel pattern.
IPS displays are the next generation of screens. They’re meant to be an improvement on the preceding twisted nematic (TN) matrix LCDs, which have a few obvious limitations such as small viewing angles that are inadequate and low colour reproduction quality.
On the other hand, IPS displays provide a much more rapid colour reproduction quality and expansive viewing angles for an enhanced user experience. These features also make it a more versatile display that can be used for a wide range of industrial, commercial, and even medical applications. Modern technological devices including smartphones, TVs, tablets, and PCs all have built-in IPS technology. They’re also widely used in various fields that require high-quality screens such as broadcasting, professional design applications, and healthcare.
IPS Display Market Trends
- Rise in Demand for IPS Displays – The IPS display market is predicted to reach a value of nearly $75 billion (USD) by the year 2025 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.4% according to a Market Research Future report. The forecast analysis period of the report is between 2019 and 2025.
- Asia Pacific to Lead the IPS Display Market – Since the majority of the IPS display market exists in Asian countries, it stands to reason that the Asia Pacific market will lead the economic growth projections on a global scale.
Key Players in the Global IPS Display Market 2022
Key players in the global IPS display market in 2022 by company and country include:
- Au Optronics (Taiwan)
- Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
- Lenovo Group Limited (China)
- WINSTAR Display Co., Ltd. (Taiwan)
- LG Display (South Korea)
- Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. (South Korea)
- Sony Corporation (Japan)
- Japan Display (Japan)
- Panasonic Corporation (Japan)
- AsusTek Computer Inc. (Taiwan)
- Dell (United States)
Drivers and Restraints
IPS display market trends also predict that the main drivers of the tremendous uptick in this technology across various markets can be attributed to the following traits:
- A growing demand for camera-enabled mobile devices
- Low battery power consumption (longer lasting battery on a single charge)
- More compact complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) image sensor
- Biometric Applications that use more image sensors
IPS LCD displays boast a variety of improvements over their predecessors, which is a major driver of market growth over the next few years. With enhanced crystal-clear picture quality, accuracy, wider viewing angles, increased brightness settings and adjustability, there’s no question that IPS monitors are the top choice in various professional fields where screen accuracy is vital.
Industries where IPS displays are most commonly used include broadcasting, healthcare, and professional video production. They’re also a popular choice for commercial everyday use. The sharp colour compositions, image clarity, expansive viewing angles, and fast refresh rates make IPS displays perfect for recreational purposes like watching movies or TV shows and gaming.
The fast refresh rate offered by IPS displays is also the main reason they’re used for tablets, laptops, and smartphones. This eliminates screen functionality delays and makes for a much smoother overall browsing experience for users. IPS market growth can also be attributed to other important factors including:
- The expanding consumer electronic market
- Increasing competition among key players in the industry
- And the greater need for state-of-the-art technological developments across various fields of application
Some noteworthy restraints mentioned in the report include:
- Consumption in charge coupled device (CCD) image sensors
- Market decline for digital still cameras
How Did COVID-19 Change the Landscape of the Global IPS Displays Market?
The COVID-19 health crisis has had a tremendous ripple effect on virtually every industry across the globe. After healthcare, supply chains and logistics industries have arguably suffered the most financially.
International government mandates, lockdowns, restrictions, and border closures throughout the course of the pandemic all had a significant and unparalleled negative impact on the trade of goods on a global scale. Supply chain disruptions, factory closures, workforce decreases, and economic downturns were just the icing on the cake. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Although production and logistics costs have gone up, lifting lockdowns and relaxing restrictions and mandates have put the market back on a positive, albeit somewhat fragile, trajectory for the time being.
If anything, the pandemic also inadvertently highlighted the growing demand for better quality technology that allows for long-distance communications.
Promising and Widespread Market Growth Opportunities Are Also on the Rise
Considering the technologically advanced features offered by IPS displays, the future looks bright (pun intended) for these state-of-the-art industrial LCD displays. Enhanced colour contrast, brightness settings, spectacular image clarity, and reproduction speed mean that an increasing number of industries are integrating this technology into their platforms.
This increases the demand for IPS displays across a wide range of international markets and secures its growing popularity in the coming years. Graphic designers, additive manufacturing (3D printing) companies, professional photographers, and computer-aided design (CAD) engineers can all benefit greatly from using this technology.
The aforementioned Global IPS Display Market Analysis demonstrates the projected international growth trajectory of IPS display usage and analyzes influential market trends.
It also provides a detailed market analysis and general overview that’s segmented into the following categories:
- Technology type
- Advanced High Performance IPS (AH IPS, which is the current standard)
- Enhanced IPS (e-IPS, which is no longer in circulation)
- And others
- Application (smartphone, tablet, TVs, PCs, etc.)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, South America)
Market By Industry
Starting on a general regional basis, the report analyzes the current standing of the IPS display market across several continents. Then it goes into further detail to forecast the growth trajectory of IPS technology in specific countries. These sub-segments showcase the supply and demand patterns for this technology in markets consisting of 18 countries in total. In addition to future forecasts, it also exhibits current trends for each region and draws comparisons between each of them.
Nauticomp Inc.: Industrial LCD Display Manufacturers
Nauticomp Inc. is a leading distributor of state-of-the-art industrial IPS LCD displays in North America and the UK. Contact us to learn about our wide range of digital displays and monitors.